Trauma can profoundly impact an individual’s mental, emotional, and physical well-being. For those seeking recovery from addiction, addressing trauma is often a pivotal part of their journey to wellness. At Virtue Recovery Killeen in Texas, our caring and compassionate team explores the best way to treat trauma, focusing on the most effective trauma treatment approaches and their benefits. Contact Virtue Recovery Killeen today at 866.843.0545 to learn more about our treatment options available for trauma.
What Is Trauma?
Trauma refers to distressing experiences that can lead to lasting psychological and emotional harm. This might stem from a single event, such as a violent attack, or prolonged exposure to harmful circumstances, like neglect or abuse. The after-effects of trauma can manifest as flashbacks, nightmares, anxiety, depression, or, in many instances, substance abuse.
Sometimes, unresolved trauma can develop into post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Those struggling with PTSD may experience fear, anger, guilt, shame, and helplessness. They tend to be hypervigilant or easily startled and may struggle to form trusting relationships. Other times, people struggling with trauma or PTSD may develop addictions to self-medicate their symptoms.
What to Know About the Best Way to Treat Trauma
When it comes to the best trauma treatment, there are several evidence-based methods proven to be effective:
- Narrative therapy – This approach aids individuals in retelling their traumatic experiences, helping them gain perspective and rewrite their story in a more empowering light.
- Cognitive processing therapy (CPT) – A form of cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), CPT helps individuals understand and change thought patterns that lead to problematic behaviors and emotions.
- Prolonged exposure therapy – This method involves repeated, controlled exposure to thoughts, feelings, and situations related to the trauma to reduce fear and avoidance associated with traumatic memories.
However, when trauma co-occurs with addiction, dual diagnosis treatment is the best way to treat it. This approach provides a comprehensive way to address trauma’s mental health, and substance abuse issues.
Best Trauma Treatment Approaches for Those Struggling with Addiction
At Virtue Recovery Killeen, we understand the intricate relationship between trauma and addiction. We incorporate the best treatment for trauma into our addiction recovery programs:
- Individual and group counseling – These sessions provide a safe space for clients to express their feelings and learn from others’ experiences.
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) – MAT combines medications with behavioral therapies to treat substance use disorders. Certain medications can also help manage symptoms of PTSD and other trauma-related conditions.
- Relapse prevention planning – We equip our clients with the skills to identify and manage triggers, helping them maintain long-term sobriety.
Of course, trauma treatment is not the primary way professionals treat addiction. Rehab centers offer mindfulness-based therapies, experiential activities, faith-based counseling, and more.
Benefits of Trauma Therapy for Addiction Treatment
Incorporating trauma therapy into addiction treatment offers numerous benefits:
- Understanding the root cause
- Developing healthy coping strategies
- Reducing the risk of relapse
- Improving mental health
- Enhancing quality of life
However, the primary benefit of trauma therapy is that it addresses unresolved trauma and provides a sense of closure. It helps individuals feel safe, accepted, and secure to move toward lasting recovery.
Find Trauma Treatment in Texas at Virtue Recovery Killeen
The journey to recovery from addiction is personal, and at Virtue Recovery Killeen, we understand that addressing underlying trauma is often a critical part of this journey. With the best trauma treatment approaches and a compassionate team of professionals, we are here to support you every step of the way.
Do not hesitate to reach out if you or a loved one is struggling with addiction and trauma. Together, we can chart a path toward healing and recovery. Contact Virtue Recovery Killeen today at 866.843.0545 to learn more about our programs and how we can help you reclaim your life from addiction.