As a leading addiction treatment center in Texas, Virtue Recovery Killeen employs a variety of evidence-based therapies to help our clients achieve long-term sobriety. One such method is cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), a popular and effective treatment approach in substance abuse recovery. Call 866.843.0545 to speak with someone from our caring and compassionate team at Virtue Recovery Killeen about our addiction treatment approach.
The Primary Goal of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
Many of the many therapeutic approaches available today fall under the behavioral therapy umbrella. Cognitive-behavioral therapy is the most widely used and recognized of these.
The primary purpose of CBT is to change the thought patterns that lead to harmful behaviors, such as substance abuse. CBT helps individuals develop healthier coping strategies by addressing these negative thoughts and feelings. This shift in thinking patterns can significantly reduce the risk of relapse and promote lasting recovery.
The Goals of CBT for Addiction Treatment
While the overarching goal of cognitive-behavioral therapy is to change harmful thought patterns, this framework has several specific objectives. Here are the critical goals of CBT for addiction treatment:
- Understanding the relationship between thoughts, feelings, and behaviors – CBT helps individuals understand how their thoughts and feelings can influence their behaviors. This understanding is crucial in addressing and changing problematic behaviors.
- Identifying and challenging negative thought patterns – CBT can help individuals recognize and challenge their negative or distorted thoughts, often contributing to addictive behaviors.
- Developing healthier coping mechanisms – Instead of turning to substances when faced with stress or negative emotions, CBT teaches individuals more beneficial coping methods, such as exercise, meditation, or talking to a trusted friend or family member.
- Enhancing self-confidence and self-efficacy – CBT can boost individuals’ confidence in maintaining sobriety and navigating life’s challenges without resorting to substance use.
- Preventing relapse – Through the skills and strategies learned in CBT, individuals are better equipped to avoid relapse and maintain long-term recovery.
At Virtue Recovery Killeen, our licensed professionals utilize CBT to help clients overcome their addictions.
What to Expect from Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Addiction Treatment in Texas
During cognitive-behavioral therapy sessions, your therapist will discuss key concepts of CBT and help you develop new thought patterns and coping strategies. Depending on your specific needs, here is what you can expect at Virtue Recovery Killeen:
- Personalized treatment plans – Our therapists tailor CBT techniques to address clients’ unique needs and circumstances.
- One-on-one and group sessions – Clients participate in individual and group CBT sessions, providing opportunities for personal reflection and peer support.
- Practical exercises – Clients engage in various activities to identify and challenge negative thoughts, practice new coping skills, and plan for potential relapse triggers.
- Integration with other therapies – CBT is often combined with different therapeutic approaches, such as medication-assisted treatment (MAT), for a comprehensive approach to addiction recovery.
Of course, addiction treatment at Virtue Recovery Killeen consists of much more than cognitive-behavioral therapy. We also offer evidence-based therapies such as dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), trauma-informed care, and experiential activities like music therapy. Our multidisciplinary team is dedicated to helping clients achieve lasting recovery through an individualized mix of treatments and services.
Find Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy Services in Texas at Virtue Recovery Killeen
The goal of cognitive-behavioral therapy is not just to treat addiction but to equip individuals with the tools and strategies they need for lasting recovery. At Virtue Recovery Killeen, we are committed to helping our clients achieve this goal through our evidence-based, compassionate care. If you or a loved one is struggling with substance use, do not hesitate to reach out to us. Let us guide you on your path to recovery. Contact Virtue Recovery Killeen today at 866.843.0545 to learn more about our treatment programs and how we can help.